Columbia International College offers a comprehensive English as a Second Language (ESL) program for Canadian and international students with various ESL proficiency levels. The ESL program offers 5 levels of instruction ranging from Beginners (ESLAO) to Advanced (ESLEO).
Through the ESL lessons, students will:
- Learn to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Develop good ESL reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.
- Improve and expand on their vocabulary, comprehension, conversation and pronunciation skills.
- Have opportunities to practise and perfect their English both inside and outside the classroom.
- Be well-prepared for the Academic English Program, which will prepare them for university studies.
- ESL students learn English in a Canadian classroom environment
Maximizing Students’ English Skills
- Up to 33 hours of ESL class per week (5-6 hours a day, Monday to Friday), allowing students to improve their English.
- Certified ESL teachers use comprehensive teaching practices and methods to maximize students’ English skills.
- Small interactive ESL classes of 15 to 20 students allow students to receive individual attention and assistance from teachers.
- Teachers employ the use of ESL learning aids including language and computer laboratories, print media, videos, seminars and guest speakers; providing students various avenues to practise and improve their English skills.
- TOEFL Training Course
- This training course helps students to learn test-writing techniques and take TOEFL practice tests to achieve better TOEFL results.
- It is offered only on Saturday mornings.
Official Test Centre for TOEFL, MELAB, CAEL
- Columbia International College is an official ETS authorized TOEFL iBT test centre.
- We are also an official test center for MELAB and CAEL.
- Students can write these external tests in a convenient, familiar & comfortable setting, thereby reducing exam pressure.
- Students save travel time and money by writing these external tests at Columbia International College.
English Class Placement
- During orientation, students are given a diagnostic test to determine their English proficiency.
- Based on the test results, students are placed in an appropriate class to allow them to improve their English proficiency.
- We offer 6 start dates (January, March, June, July, August and October) for students’ convenience.
- Students may choose to study from one semester to one year.
- For the convenience of students, our ESL courses are offered on a 4-week or 8-week basis