Monday, April 12th, 2021
To: All CIC Students, Parents, Staff and Partners,
Update on Covid-19 in the Province of Ontario
Earlier this afternoon, Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced that the Province of Ontario will close all Ontario schools for in-person learning following the current Spring Break. Effective Monday April 19, 2021 Columbia International College will be 100% online until the Province allows schools to safely reopen for in-person learning – this date has yet to be determined. This significant measure is taken to protect public health, and to curb the COVID-19 case numbers.
Teaching & Learning Continues at a High Level
Student success and your safety remains our priority as remote classes get underway with all Total Care supports.
- There will be no disruption to your learning, regardless whether students are learning remotely from our residences, from a location off-site here in Ontario, or in your respective countries around the
- CIC teachers are prepared to continue classes seamlessly using our Learning Management System – Moodle and Zoom and Office
The commitment of the Total Care Education® Team remains fully in place including Tutoring, Guidance and University Placement Services, Academic Support, Medical and Wellness, Admissions and Liaison services as well as Student Leadership Development.
For Students in Residence… .
- For students currently in our residences, Student Leadership Development and Residence Staff will continue with Spring activities over the coming weeks. Some events may have to be modified due to this new Ministry More detail to follow.
- We will be shifting teacher lead afternoon school clubs and activities to a virtual platform as is reasonable beginning April 20, 2021. This will include additional study hall and academic support
- At this time, most planned residence activities will continue such as;
- Prom and Prom pictures
- CIC/TEC Model United Nations
- Leadership and Diversity Retreat
- High Achievers Club activities and meetings
- Wellness Walk
- Grocery Shopping trips daily
- Community Service Gardens at Cedar campus
- Games night (Bingo/Trivia, etc)
- Ultimate Athlete challenge
- Movie Night
Graduating students in residence in particular should have confidence that we continue to plan for your Prom and Graduation.
**Note** Some of the above activities may have to be modified due to continuing direction coming in from the Ministry of Education.
Stay Safe…Know the Rules of Lockdown.
As mentioned in previous communications, we remind all of our students currently residing in Ontario to be aware of the rules and regulations of this Provincial Lockdown. Fines and penalties are severe and commonplace during this crisis.
- Should you find yourself in a difficult situation, hospitalized, or involved in a police matter, immediately call our 24 hour Campus Security number at 905-981-0146 (for non-Emergency purposes only).
This correspondence reflects information that we have at this time. With the COVID-19 situation evolving, directives from the various levels of government may change and therefore Columbia International College may also have to alter our programs and policies accordingly. We are committed to providing up to date communication to our CIC community. Let’s all be hopeful and support one another. We look forward to seeing you in our remote classes beginning April 19, 2021.Yours in education,
William T. Ironside
Principal, Columbia International College