January 30, 2020
The Coronavirus that was identified in Wuhan, China in December 2019 continues to make headlines. The number of reported cases are growing daily with several hundred reported cases in several countries, including our neighbour to the south, the United States. It is also confirmed that the virus can be transmitted from person to person.
With this in mind, our Columbia International College with staff and students from over 70 countries from all regions of the world has to be proactive to not only avoid the Cold and Flu, but to work together to minimize any threat of this virus coming to our school. To this end, I am asking everyone to work together to stay healthy.
Let’s make sure we are all doing the following:
- Report symptoms of the cold and flu ASAP. Self-Report to Medical, your Admissions/Liaison officer, House Parent, or help your friend to report.
- Practice good hygiene. Use the hand sanitizers at the front doors of our buildings and in our common spaces. Wash your hands thoroughly and repeatedly throughout the day. Avoid touching your face as this can spread germs from your hands. Practice good cough etiquette (cough away from others and into your elbow).
- Most importantly, use the hand sanitizer before entering the cafeterias – this is essential! Studies show that this is critical to prevent the spread of germs.
- Masks are available (provided by medical) if you are not feeling well to help prevent the spread of germs.
- Do not engage in rumours about students who may or may not be ill. This week, false rumours being spread by CIC students about students being sick with the coronavirus has been very damaging to both the victim of those rumours, as well as to our school.
My office and our TotalCare team will continue to closely monitor developments in the news and follow the direction from the Public Health Department, and will update you if needed. In the meantime, practice good hygiene, stay healthy, watch out for your friends and classmates. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to visit us in the Academic Office, or see your Admissions/ Liaison Officer, House Parents, or our Nurses – we are all here to help.
Mr. Ironside, Principal
Ms. Reid, Vice Principal